|Location||Weinstraße 4, 54441 Kanzem an der Saar|
|Volume||Old building GFA 1.143 m² New building GFA 349 m²|
The historic manor house from 1740, originally part of Wadgassen Premonstratensian Monastery's erstwhile wine-growing estate and subsequently under the aegis of Trier Seminary, was sold to a private owner in 2007; it was subsequently modernized and converted into a guest house, estate vinothèque, event venue and private flat. The conversion, respecting heritage conservation considerations, aimed to preserve the building’s Baroque flair. Spatially distinct and axially symmetrical new buildings, which accomodate service functions, complement the existing structure. The new additions form an ensemble with the Baroque manor house, although their design does not directly echo its architectural style, instead referencing the surrounding vineyard landscape. The two-storey outhouse contains utility rooms and further guest accomodation. The entire structure, including the roof, is in tamped concrete. The outhouse’s monolithic air can be read as a counterpoint to the elegant steel and glass greenhouse on the other side of the main building.