|Location||Bahnhofstraße, D-90443 Nürnberg|
|Client||Projektgesellschaft Nürnberg GmbH & CO KG|
|Building period||Under execution|
|Volume||GFA 57.500 m²|
|Procedure||Competition, 1st Prize|
The square outside Nürnberg Central Station makes a fresh urban design statement thanks to the renovation of the remarkable Main Post Office Building, constructed in 1924 by Hans Weiß and Johann Kohl, along with the new construction projects on the adjacent plots. The building’s complex contiguous form dovetails with the historic circular building, creating a novel mise-en-scène of its dynamic form. Two high-rise towers are carefully positioned to extend the square and mark the entrance to an attractive downtown passage. At the same time, these new towers also create a gateway scenario for the historic centre, and lead into the local neighbourhood. This inviting gesture from the fledgling district is underscored by arcades facing onto the station square. The new building’s generous floor space will accommodate a mix of uses: two hotels, flexible office premises, retail outlets and small-scale service units, as well as restaurants and cafes. The Postbank and the Post Office will return to this site once the project is completed.